If you’re like me, there’s a whole lot in the title of this recipe that sets off both my tastebuds and my alarm bells. Pasta? With insulin resistance? But I promise, pasta can be a part of your life, if you’re linking and balancing things correctly. And the savory sauteed squash plus a light note of lemon and a splash of cream? Amazing.
Does it help if I add that this recipe comes together in 15 minutes and will feed my whole family? OK then.
Ravioli and Summer Squash with Lemon Cream Sauce
- 18 ounces cheese ravioli (fresh or frozen work, but I always buy frozen bc it’s cheaper)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces), plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Start some water boiling to cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a really big skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the squash and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Don’t forget to check on your pasta.
- Add the cream and lemon zest and cook until the vegetables are tender and the cream is slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet and toss with the Parmesan and more salt to taste. Serve sprinkled with the chives and additional Parm.
Serves 5 adults. Nutrition: 420 cal, 29c, 14p, 25f, 2fi, 5s.
Recipe lightly adapted from Real Simple Magazine.