Ever just get sick of the same old sweet oatmeal? I sure do.
I get really stuck in a rut with breakfast, sometimes. Yogurt, cereal, oats & fruit, repeat. When I want savory I do eggs with toast or in a taco with sausage (yum!), but then I’m usually not getting enough whole grain and I’m up against a whole carb/protein balance mess.
This oat bowl (plate, in my case, because all my bowls were dirty! Ha!) has all the warmth and fiber and hearty goodness of steel cut oats, but with the savory goodness of egg and cheese and the subtle bite of scallions. It’s pretty fabulous. I also soft-cook my egg yolk so it kind of smears all over everything when I stir up my oats. It’s deeee-licious!
Steel-cut Oats with Egg, Cheese and Scallions
- 1/4 cup dry steel-cut oats
- 1 T white chia seed (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 T cheese, shredded
- 1 T cut or chopped scallions – I use scissors. Why dirty more stuff?
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add oats and pinch of salt; stir, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small frying pan on medium. Coat lightly with cooking spray. Add egg and cook, covered, until white is set and yolk is still runny, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve oatmeal in a bowl topped with cheese, egg, and scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart Living.